Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Guess y'all ain't as fascinated by dyeing cotton as I am.

Nobody else has either died or dyed around here lately, though I did almost kill a project. Some of y'all (you know who you are) have been hassling me about the lack of commenting on the raglan. I haven't declared it done, but it hasn't graced this blog lately. Why not? Well... I realised that the raglan was not destined to be a sweater. Though the instructions for making a cardigan were entirely ignored, this project has always been a cardi... just a bit closed up. The last few days have consisted of this, more or less:

Plan how to convert sweater to cardigan
Become scared. Knit something else.
Hear the cry of the cardi. Crochet steeks. Realise I need to cut next.
Become scared. Knit something else.
Pick up stitches for button bands and knit them. Realise I need to cut next.
Become scared. Spin something else.

Here's that Mo' again from Upstairs Studio:



Lumpy thin yarn! I've been knitting something vaguely hat-like from the lumpy thick yarn, though... so near as I could figure, this lumpy thin yarn had to be 3-ply to fit into the lumpy thick hat. Enter... Navajo plying. This maneuver would be greatly simplified if I had a few more arms. New lumpy thick yarn:



Which also looks like this:



Guess I can't avoid it any longer. Finally tonight... I cut. Having both crocheted around as the above instructions say *and* already picked up stitches caused a rather belt-and-suspenders approach. This is a good thing.

(Picture from early this afternoon, before one button band was knit. Still OTN here.)



What the band looks like, if you're at all interested.

After a painful battle with common sense, I cut down the entire front. Whew. Y'all ain't getting full pictures tonight, but here's a tease:




Then I need to pick a button.




Birds and hearts and things? Plain wooden things? Keep an eye peeled at the thrift shop for something new? Who knows.